Friday, October 3, 2014

What I know so far ...

The Mortensens: circa 1940 (my husband's father is the boy in front on the left)
 Gerda is the pretty young woman on the far right.


I got interested in genealogy, shortly after my father passed away six years ago. He came from a family of twelve, out of Northern Ireland.  My mother's side is Canadian from Nova Scotia, with roots in Scotland, the United States and France.

I was equally fascinated with my husband's side of the family since his father is Danish and we had willingly embraced the Danish culture and much of the Scandinavian way of life.

A wealth of information was available for my side of the family, and a good deal on my mother-in-law's side, but the Danish branch was, shall we say, quite bare.

Initially, I was given two fragmented and not terribly useful pieces of information about the Danish family from Copenhagen.  Only through dogged determination (along with an obsessive focus that allows me to spend hours looking at online Danish books from old world Censuses and Churches) have I managed to piece together the bulk of the relationships on the Mortensen side.

With one exception: my Father-in-law's Aunt, Gerda


Here are the two pieces of information I was initially handed regarding my husband's father's family.

From my mother-in-law, in an e-mail dated, April 29, 2010

Farfar  (Hans Svend-Aage Mortensen)
Parents unknown - Grew up in an orphanage with his sister Gerda Mortensen

From my husband's aunt Lis, in Denmark, an e-mail dated, March 25, 2012

I am sorry, but I can not help you about Gerda. I do not know when she has bithsday.
She was that type who never told you how old she was.
Farfar was older than Gerda.
They were both brought op on a fosterhome
Farfarwas born the 29, of marts and dyed in december 1970

I've come a long way, but as yet, Gerda is still undiscovered in any record books online. I have much work to do!

7 comments:

  1. http://www.geni.com/people/Gerda-Mortensen/6000000019385148130 is this her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, this is not the Gerda I'm seeking. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate your research. This Gerda is very well hidden, isn't she?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kat. Good luck on your search. Don is serious about his geneology and has been relentless in his searching. His step-dad's mother has been particularly elusive due to poor recordkeeping of the removal of American Indian children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes. That would make it tough. Is he on Ancestry.com? If there's anyway I can help him, I'm a pretty good researcher. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my journey to find Gerda Mortensen. If you have any information or suggestions that might help in my search, please leave a comment or drop me a line at poetikat46@yahoo.ca

Tusind Tak!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...